View Single Post
Old April 2, 2011, 07:45 AM   #53
BlueTrain

I just did some experimenting with the soft holster I referred to earlier. This forum often leads me to do experiments, if not to any new revelations.

My holster is made of real leather and is an inside the waistband style. It has an extra piece of leather around the edge and in the area where the clip is attached but there is no metal except for the clip itself. I prefer clips over loops so it can be used without a belt (while wearing suspenders). The clip holds it very securely, believe me, but holstering the gun is problematic. That is enough to make me want a different one, which would probably be more expensive.

I tried this using the two and only guns I have that would fit and I wasn't able to get any movement in the trigger at all. One gun is a Ruger P345, the other a Walther P5. My drill for holstering them is to put my thumb behind the hammer, so it is easy to feel any movement. However, the reason I do that is mainly to prevent the slide from moving. I wouldn't expect the hammer to move and not the slide, but obviously it could happen.

Now, the funny thing is that the leather is soft enough to fold and get in front of the trigger but only vertically, not horizontally. There isn't enough spare leather for there to be a vertical fold, if you follow me. But, on top of that, the leather is not stiff enough at that point to offer enough resistence to the trigger, enough to move the trigger. The leather isn't all that thick but probably not as thin as some of the suede leather holsters you can buy. The holster is quite comfortable to wear and the .45 Ruger is more comfortable than the 9mm Walther. How about that! And it doesn't squeak, either.

The entire problem and possibility could be prevented with a holster that entended up another two inches on the inside, even using soft leather, and it might even be more comfortable.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.04634 seconds with 8 queries