Thread: Roll crimp
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Big Yac

Roll crimp

I've been reloading for my .454 Casull for about 8 to 10 months now and never had a problem. Well today I had my first bullet creep forward from recoil and lock up the cylinder. The bullet is a Cast Performance 395gr lead bullet, it has two crimp grooves and its crimped to the first (closest to the bottom of the bullet) groove. This is also the minimum load and recoil isnt as bad as my 300gr XTP's. MY XTPs have never crept forward.(maybe this is also because the XTP's arent as long as the 395gr bullets and just havent crept forward enough?) While looking at my other loads though it looks like maybe my roll crimp isnt as tight at it could be. Some people on here have almost a little shoulder after roll crimping, mine isnt like that at all, infact you can hardly see the crimp. On the 300gr factory Winchesters you can see almost a small shoulder. Maybe I should tighten my crimp some? The question is, how much do you turn the die when tightening the crimp? The die is an RCBS by the way. Should I start by going an 1/8 turn? 1/16 turn?

Page generated in 0.03669 seconds with 8 queries