View Single Post
Old June 30, 2005, 03:44 PM   #47
solvability

A friend suggested I post on this since I had used a 30-06 on my last hunt and assumed it would be the same as a .308 - this was my response:

Actually, I used 180 grain from my 06 and it punched right through the shoulder and exited nicely - out near Saturn's moons I think about now. None of my 308s will group with 180 grain bullets - do not know why unless it is the twist. One guy on the hunt shot a pig in the shoulder with a 308 in 150 grain - Nosler bullet - the pig swapped ends and started running and even with dogs they never found it - doubt it would have been different with an 06 but I think the 180 has more punch and of course your 405s from the 45-70 even more - sometimes the margin matters.

I think the angle of the shot, the weight of the bullet and its construction as well as the depth of the gristle plate on the hog that is hit all make a difference - my thought is and was - rather have a bit too much than just not enough - even so I would use a 308 with a well made 150 grain bullet - I think penetration is more important than expansion on hogs - the bone if struck will provide all the shrapnel that you need to stop the hog. That is my limited experience and I hope and intend to have many more.

Page generated in 0.02075 seconds with 8 queries