View Single Post
Old July 31, 2001, 01:59 PM   #26
IKMF

Acctually, Krav Maga has a VERY GOOD system of groundfighting to deal with groundwork, however it does not work to well playfighting on the ground. The system emphezices simple techniques of attacking and getting up as soon as possible, not locking and wrestling. It also includes biting, fingers to the eyes etc. These are things that will stop a groundfighter from "wanting" to make groundfighting.

This I am telling you from a background as KM instructor and Shootfighting instructor for many years. There is a big difference from sport combat and real combat.

KM is not suited for UFC because of this. It is in our nature to deal with an attack in any way possible. No rules. And in even the first UFC before all the rules, there where some important rules: No attacking eyes or groin, no biting, etc.. All things which are very important tools in fighting.

The KM system is with out any doubt one of the most complete system when it comes to dealing with all aspects of fighting. We include weapons training. If suddenly attacked on the street you might not have the time to draw the weapon (yes I am a firearms instructor and love my gun) at time you are attaced, but with a good base in KM or any other realistic system the unarmed defenses might give you the time to introduce the firearm into the fight. This is training usually done in a bit higher level training in KM, but it IS IN THE SYSTEM.

To say that KM only works against untrained and simple attackers is just showing a very limited knowledge of what KM is. It is true that in the basic levels there are techniques against basic attacks and threats. However these are still, luckily, the most common attacks on the streets around the world, and the student has to start somewhere.

In higher levels you are taught knifefighting which is very effective.

Rune Lind
KM Norway

Page generated in 0.02174 seconds with 8 queries