View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 02:35 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

The Lee FCD will roll crimp revolver rounds. I use one to load up over 200 rounds every week. I set my seating die to remove most of the flare from the case. I use the FCD to apply the roll crimp. Note it is possible to over crimp with one. I did it when doing the initial set up of my die to see exactly what the maximum amount of crimp I could get without ruining the round was. I do not use anywhere near the max amount of crimp due to the fact that I do not need it in .357 Mag. Now I do crimp as much as I can get away with for my .41 Mag loads with slow powders. It helps to get a consistent velocity, and my groups shrank by half when I did this.

To explain:

Taper crimping is just removing the flare of the case to where the round will chamber.

Roll crimping rolls the lip of the brass into a cannulure or grove to give a little extra hold to the bullet. It helps slower burning magnum powders to build pressure as has been stated. It also helps to keep the recoil of the gun from acting like a kinetic bullet puller on the rest of the chambered rounds.

Page generated in 0.02206 seconds with 8 queries