View Single Post
Old June 7, 2012, 06:00 AM   #4
oldandslow

Rembrandt, 6/7/12

Pheasant raising? Boy that brings back memories. About forty years ago I worked a summer job between college semesters. I worked at a pheasant farm in Turlock, California just outside of Modesto in the Central Valley. These pheasants were raised to be released at game clubs in California. I think this farm's goal was to raise and release the stupidest pheasants possible so they could be shot easily by the game club members.

The first part of the process was going into the pens where the newly hatched pheasants were kept and grabbing each one and ramming a plastic pin through their nostrils which supported a small plastic disk in front of their eyes so they could not see to peck each other. Then I would take the chick and hold its beak against a red-hot metal bar to burn their beaks flat so they could not damage each other. During this process the chicks would often rush to the back of the pen and suffocate each other.

After the above steps were done the birds were put in a covered pen outside with the walls and roofs covered with netting. As soon as the birds were big enough we would go in with nets and catch them for shipment to the game club. I remember one big rooster being really ticked off. He flew up and landed on my shoulder and then sank his claws into my skin as deep as he could. Actually I couldn't really blame him as he probably rememberd me as the one who burned his beak flat when he was a chick.

So I hope your pheasant adventure is better than mine and that your birds are smarter. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Page generated in 0.03677 seconds with 8 queries