View Single Post
Old August 20, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1
UncleLoodis

.357 Load Question

Greetings.

I am relatively new to reloading, so please excuse me if this sounds unusual/silly/downright dumb.

I am going to be loading some .357 mag, using CCI 550 primers, Unique powder, and Hornady 158 GR XTP (JHP). I used this combo before, only using Bluedot powder. I used Lyman's recommendation of 9.6 grains (starting grains). Everything worked fine. This is before I bought my chrono, so I don't the FPS. This time I am wanting to make a load with a little more zip. I read somewhere that people were getting around 1600-1700 FPS with these bullets (shot in a S&W 686, like mine), but no specifics were given. Lyman's data shows that abuot the max FPS one can get is 1357, with AA#9, "Max Load Grains". Anyone know how people are getting 1600 FPS with the Hornady bullets? I want to make a zippy load, but of course, want to be safe.

A separate question: How does one know when one is approaching too hot a load (other than a kb)...lead fouling? Lyman's has a starting powder load and then a max load...is the starting load just enough to avoid a squib and the max load is just under what makes a nice kb?

Thanks in advance for advice.

U.L.

Page generated in 0.02443 seconds with 8 queries