View Single Post
Old January 13, 2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Watermain

First Freedom:

Yes, I have discovered you're right. I've stopped agonising now, and have ordered a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44 for the Sako Hunter 6.55x55. I wanted side parallax control.

A 1" tubed 3-9 x 40 Docter (Sport) I ordered from the States has arrived, and it is superb. Beautifully built, wonderfully bright, and decidedly too good to put on the Ruger .22 LR for which it is destined. It's very interesting to see that the Docter range hasn't REALLY taken off in the States. It appears to be every bit as well made as the other top shelf German scopes, but the makers having changed their name from Carl Zeiss (Jena) to Docter, it perhaps lacks the glamour of Zeiss and S&B. It is amazing to me that they did not look at the marketing downside to the name Docter, which just sounds sort of strange to English speaking folks, when connected to riflescopes. I notice too, the Docter Riflescope colour brochure is gramatically hopeless. It is an excellent translation, but it does not read as well as something written by an English copy writer. It's a shame, because the products appear to be first class.

Anyway, for $299 I think the scope I have received is the bargain of the century, and I'm sure it will sail well past its 30 year guarantee period. I'm hoping I live long enough to see it expire: I'd be ninety-two.

Page generated in 0.03530 seconds with 8 queries