View Single Post
Old April 22, 2018, 07:06 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
What you're fishing for is an answer to the question, "When is it okay to use deadly force?". Unfortunately, you are not addressing the salient question, which is, "When do I have no alternative than to use deadly force?"

Looked at it in that way, the fact is that any pets relocated
Good point -- at least I wasn't being explicit about it.

In my mind, at least the first 3 scenarios represent (to me) no alternative other than to use deadly force. At least, no alternative that will ensure I come out unharmed. (Of course, using deadly force still doesn't assure I come out unharmed). I can try to run, but I can't outrun a bullet. Will he shoot me if I run? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not going to bet my life on it.

I can give him my wallet, for sure, which is my only option if I'm not armed (or Steven Segal in his heyday) and hope he runs. Probably, he'll take it and run. But it's hardly unheard of for someone to give up their goods to a robber and still end up being shot anyway.

There's no good answer to any of these other than "don't be there in the first place." Could draw and shoot the guy and get shot in return. Could draw, shoot and miss. Could shoot and stop him, and then learn he had two armed thug friends around the corner waiting for him.

I guess in my mind, in any of those scenarios (and especially the first two), the only thought in my mind would be "most likely this guy isn't going to let me see my kids again." How I respond, I don't know, but I would assume nothing other than that I am in immediate mortal danger, that he has the intent and opportunity. Using force against him my still be a terrible idea, but that would be my going in assumption. All these scenarios have left me with no credible options other than deadly force to stop his imminent threat.

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries