Thread: Luger Help
View Single Post
Old September 15, 2016, 12:04 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

OK, found my book!!!

Based on your pictures (and the assumption that the finish is original) your 9mm would be a

Mauser S/42 1937 Date Late Finish

"late finish" means the gun is entirely blued, including the trigger, take down lever and safety lever. The early finish guns had these parts straw colored.

Quantity made was approx. 89,000

This model is listed as "uncommon"

The mags should have a blue body, aluminum base, serial#d to the gun, and have the stick wing or droop wing E/63 acceptance mark.

Serial # range is 1501t to 400b

The full serial number is found on the bottom of the barrel, front of the frame, and the left side of the receiver. The last two digits of the serial number are on the breechblock (lower left side), extractor, front toggle link (bottom), rear toggle link (back), sear (left side), sear bar safety lever, side plate, takedown lever (bottom), thumb safety lever (top), trigger (top left), and grips (inside).

Obviously many of these markings can only be seen when the pistol is disassembled. I would not recommend you do that, without first being familiar with Lugers. However, if all outside numbers match, odds are high the inside ones will also. I would pull the grips off and check them.

The 2006 price guide (when my book was copyrighted) lists
Poor $500
Fair $750
Good $1,000
VG $1,500
Exc $2,000

Expect today's prices to be a bit higher...

Having BOTH original mags for the gun, plus a period correct holster is a serious value increase to the package. Having both original mags is very rare, and does command a premium, for the collector.

Now, the DWM .30 is a bit harder to pin down, and I would need more information about all the markings and specific model details to be able to pin it down, there are several variations. DWM marked guns basically run from 1906 to the late 20s when Mauser took over production.

So details of frame, toggle knobs (dished, flat, etc.) and some other parts matter in determining which variation it is. ALSO, it is possible that it is a rework gun which complicates things a bit more.

Hope this helps
edit to add: My book also says the "Crown N" was the German commercial Nitro proof, and was used on Lugers until the late 20s when Mauser took over production, and changed it to a "Crown U" marking, until 1940, when Nazi law required the Nazi proof (eagle) to be used.

So, based on what I have now, all I can say for sure about your DWM is that it was proofed sometime before the late 1920s. Beyond that, I can't say, sorry.

Page generated in 0.02149 seconds with 8 queries