View Single Post
Old December 3, 2018, 12:12 AM   #16
5whiskey

Funny, I encountered this a couple years ago. Someone I charged with a felony was convicted (his guns were confiscated by the ensuing search warrant that lead to his charges). He hired an attorney and came to the PD with his aunt (who was all of 80 years old) and an order signed by a judge stating that his firearms would be released to her. We told her that we would be happy to get them out of the evidence room, but we warned her that if we ever found any of those firearms in his possession that she would be in danger of being charged with a felony for transferring possession to him. It was confusing for her because the order acknowledged that he owned the firearms. I had to read the portion to her that stated she would be required to maintain possession, as it was written in legalize, and upon hearing she could be charged if the guns wound up back at his house she decided she didn't want to go through with it.

He finally did have a friend who agreed to take the guns. I have no clue if said friend did it right. If another crime ever comes up for which a search warrant is issued for defendant's residence, I guess we will find out.

And again, as I've said before, I don't agree with the automatic prohibition on possession of firearms by ANY felon. Many petty crimes have been elevated to the level of felony these days. If it isn't violent, or it isn't a pre-planned complex criminal conspiracy to defraud the masses, it really shouldn't be a felony IMO.

EDIT: And then there are those who waited 30 minutes to obtain help for someone who tries to commit suicide by overdose at their residence, attempts to take said victim to the hospital but can't load them in the vehicle, attempts to destroy the suicide note and the remnants of the drugs taken to cause said suicidal overdose, and only when a neighbor sees 2 men attempting to load a limp body into a vehicle and calls 911 does the victim get some help. All because there were some drugs in the house and the idiot didn't want to get in trouble if the police came. Those guys, yeah they pretty much deserve what they get.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Last edited by 5whiskey; December 3, 2018 at 12:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.02525 seconds with 8 queries