View Single Post
Old December 29, 2015, 11:09 AM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I am afraid you probably can't legally own a firearm just yet.
Incorrect.

Let's look at 18 USC § 922(y) more closely, my emphasis in boldface:
Quote:
(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.—
(1) Definitions.— In this subsection—
(A) the term “alien” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(3)); and
(B) the term “nonimmigrant visa” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)).

(2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is
(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
(B) [omitted]
Get a hunting license and you're good to go. FWIW whether you actually intend to hunt anything is immaterial; mere possession of the license satisfies the the law. However, please note that the license must be valid, so pay attention to the expiration date!

I strongly suggest downloading and carefully reading the instructions for ATF Form 4473. Pay particular attention to the instructions for questions #12, #13 and #20a thru #20c. You must establish residency in a particular state in order for the transaction to be completed, and this can get tricky if your ID shows a different address than your current residence. Additionally, if purchasing a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun (i.e. a handgun or "Other Firearm", e.g. a stripped rifle receiver), you must reside in the same state where the transaction takes place.

Mandatory disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. This is not legal advice. Caveat emptor and YMMV.

Page generated in 0.01967 seconds with 8 queries