View Single Post
Old December 8, 2018, 12:01 AM   #23
wmg1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Do you carry the GP100 now? Is it EDC or just for occasional carry? I ask because the same qualities that help it to be a good shooter also work against it as a daily carry gun. It's relatively big and relatively heavy for what it offers. The Redhawk takes that balance another step in the wrong direction for EDC. It can be done but like so many others posting before me, I have to ask: Why?!?

I'll wait for the OP to answer before I say anything else.
I am interested in the Redhawk mainly as an addition to my collection, and was just wondering about it's practicality as an EDC. I have carried .40 and 9 mm semi-autos for years, but I have always enjoyed shooting larger calibers. I am not a big 1911 fan, and most of the 45's designed for concealed carry have very limited capacity. I enjoy the GP100, and am able to conceal it without difficulty (at least in the colder months). If the Redhawk was similarly easy to carry, then it would be worth it to me just for the extra round.

As for the people asking how I could think a larger and heavier revolver would not feel significantly larger when carried, it is a matter of total effect vs. proportionality. For example, while everyone would notice the difference between a 50-pound dumbell and a 100-pound dumbell during a bench press, the difference between a 10-pound dumbell and a 5-pound dumbell would hardly be noticed, despite both examples being twice as large/heavy as their counterpart. Similarly, a quarter is significantly larger than a dime, but no one is able to tell the difference in weight when carrying these coins in a pocket.

Normally, I would just go my LGS and hold a Redhawk, but finding one in stock has proved to be much more difficult than expected. While every store seems to be able to order a Redhawk, no one keeps one on the shelf. I appreciate all of the advice.

Page generated in 0.04106 seconds with 8 queries