View Single Post
Old August 10, 2001, 04:36 AM   #16
Glamdring

armedbutnotdangerous: Yes, bullet in arm or leg would be bad. I just think it is a(slightly) better option than a bullet in the back [what I would expect if I ran away].

Unless I have cover or concealment very close I would rather move in on a gun armed person at close range. I am assuming the typical very close distances that armed confrontations occur at (ie a few paces at the far side). The other problem is that even if cover/concealment is present at close range goblin can often simply step or lean around or over your cover/concealment and still shoot you.

I think running before problem starts is a good idea. I am not so sure that once hostile intent has been shown that running, without a specific goal, is a good idea. Running won't solve the problem unless the goblin is to tired/lazy/whatever to give chase or shoot you as you run.

Basic tactics for disarms are: Start first so they have to respond, get off the line of force [line of fire], get control of gun muzzle, disarm or disable.

If you were within arms reach or less than a full step of arms reach I would grab or strike the gun or gun hand as I moved offline. If I am worried about were bullets go besides hitting me I would direct muzzle up or into goblins body. If I don't have to worry about other people being shot I will simply try to break the limb holding the gun while not letting it point at me.

If your a bit beyond arms reach then I would move offline while trying to present the least vulnerable part of my body that I can to his line of fire. With the arm that would mean either palm aimed at muzzle like your going to palm strike/stiff arm the gun muzzle or line up forearm with upper arm [sort of like a muay ti ready position] so bullet would have to pass thru upper and lower arm to reach torso.

The legs I have mainly thought of using them in modified roll over or reclined shooting postion with handgun if you didn't have any cover or concealment handy but did have a handgun.

I believe one should expect to get shot in a gun fight. Just like you have to expect to get cut in a knife fight.

I agree with you completly that a disarm attempt is dangerous. You said "I'm only of average skills, and think it would be difficult to disarm me without getting shot." Don't you think it would be even harder to run away from you without getting shot than it would be to disarm you without getting shot? Not to mention if you miss the person running away you can keep shooting till you run out of ammo. But if the person is attempting a disarm you have to worry about more than sight alignment?

Page generated in 0.03936 seconds with 8 queries