View Single Post
Old February 20, 2011, 05:05 PM   #95
RwBeV

The original question- Yes a 280 can take an elk cleanly at 500 yards. Are you capable of making a shot like that? I don't know. I live in the west and I hunt in the west, if you come out here and tell someone how they should hunt your probably going to have a black eye. Same as telling folks out here how they should live its just not going to happen. I have over 30 elk to my credit some over 500 yds. Most where packed out on my back now at the age of 50 and 2 back surgeries later I still pack them out on my back. I shoot a custom Ruger M77 in 6.5-06 it has killed most of my elk and none have ever been lost. Would I tell someone he had to hunt the sameway I do...Hell no, how you hunt and what you shoot is your business.

The worst hunting mistake I ever seen was with an 8mm Rem Mag, the first year they came out, A hunting companion of mine shot a spike elk 12 times yes 12 times, Starting at about 200 yds. the mistake was in bullet selection. I don't remember what he was using but they just blew up before they penetrated. I figure he was using bullets designed for the 8x57 and was driving them fast out of that big old magnum. Noting to do with ethics just a mistake thats all.

Don't tell me how to hunt and I wont tell you to kiss my #%& . If we out here in the west have to live like folks from other states tell us we should there probably wont be any hunting out here and we wont have to worry about 500 yd shots on anything and I do mean anything.

Instead of telling each other how we should hunt we should be trying to give this fellow an honest answer to his questing. Yes a 280 will kill an elk cleanly at 500yds if you can do your part.

Bob

Page generated in 0.02012 seconds with 8 queries