View Single Post
Old October 13, 2007, 11:59 AM   #15
marcseatac

That Triple Seven is some kick ass stuff. I have a theory that the reason ML'ers lose accuracy with higher loads is because slow burning powders create turbulence at the time the bullet is leaving the barrel crown.

What you want is a sudden hard shock wave as the powder converts itself to gas. Thats what you get with Triple Seven.

An analogy would be like striking a golf ball hard one time, or hitting it with 20 soft strokes and trying to get it going in the right direction. I have used American Pioneer and load up 100 grains and can find unburned powder still left around the muzzle. It seems to me that some of the powder goes off initially, then as the bullet starts to move, the unburned powder continues in fits and starts to release it's energy.

I've been experimenting with heavy conicals and I think that the potential energy (at rest) of the heavy lead bullet causes the smaller charge that is not a long column of powder (it's under square not over square) to be completely consumed meaning that you get more efficient energy than you might with a heavier charge and a lighter bullet converting to kinetic energy (in motion) that actually leaves the barrel early in the process of the powder converting itself to gas.

And I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Happy hunting..............

Last edited by marcseatac; October 13, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.03591 seconds with 8 queries