View Single Post
Old March 11, 2019, 09:16 AM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know which bullets are the issue. With regular rifling, there are a lot of examples of soft lead actually producing less leading than hard lead does because the bullet bumps up to seal the bore under pressure better than a hard bullet, thereby preventing gas cutting due to loose fit. In the Glock barrel, though, the issue may be a trade-off between sealing and ease of stripping in the rifling profile. Or it may be none of the above.

This article blames the Tenifer nitriding process rather than the polygonal geometry. He thinks it leaves the surface grabby. He refers to engineering studies of the cause of the problem but doesn't give references to check.

I don't think shooting 100 rounds can be counted on to tell us anything. The reports I've have read claimed everything looked just fine until suddenly, over just a few rounds, all the fouling started to accumulate. It's like it is all good until one round strips for some reason, then the rest strip, too, building up the fouling fast. When that first bullet is going to strip is what is unpredictable. But I don't see how a rough surface explains that. I wish we could access the studies.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries