View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 10:19 PM   #55
johnwilliamson062

Jimmy, I agree. Sort of.
Quote:
By advocating a rule that is PATENTLY FALSE, we are teaching people to BREAK THE RULES anytime we advocate dry fire practice
I think the rule is better phrased as TREAT all guns as though loaded. Dry firing is fine, but you should dryfire in a "safe" direction. I dry-fire into a refrigerator. The bullet may come back at me, but it probably isn;t leaving the house. Pax's definition of a safe direction isn't feasible IMO. Most of the outdoor ranges I have ever gone to are not safe according to her strict interpretation. Almost all of them have rocks of some size visible in the embankment. Many have steel or concrete somewhere around the target. If thousands of rounds of FMG have been put into a concentrated area of the bank, it is hard to imagine there isn't a decent sized chunk of copper in there somewhere.

There are times one can't reasonably avoid having a gun indoors and in that situation a person must choose the SAFEST possible direction. A concrete wall 10 yards away or a drywall and frame ceiling is acceptable in that case IMO. Neither is perfect, but both greatly reduce the chance of someone receiving a fatal wound in the case of a ND.

Sometimes "the bullet is going to hit a couple things losing energy and hopefully mass before it hits a living thing" is the best you can do.

Page generated in 0.02572 seconds with 8 queries