View Single Post
Old January 29, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
thedaddycat

Sorting brass, a win-win deal...

What do you get when you have a heap of brass, a bored teenager, and a twenty dollar bill?

This....(here she's sorting .45 ACP, but has done other chamberings)

.....ends up as this!!

I give her a penny a piece to sort it by manufacturer and to cull any chambering that doesn't belong. When she did the 6.5X55 she found that a box of 7mm Mauser had been inadvertently mixed in with it. When she did the .30-06 she even sorted out single cases that had a different headstamp. All in all I'd call it a win-win situation all the way around.

Once bagged I write what it is on an index card along with what steps are done so far, like decapped, PP cleaned, etc. No other brass can get accidentally tossed in (like the 7mm in the 6.5), nor can different brands get mixed in. Once fully prepped, the brass can be loaded at any time.

How do you guys deal with the oddball brass you end up with? I have a ton of PMC 6.5X55 along with some R-P and milsurp. There are enough of each kind to make up at least a box or two, but there are 4 Winchester brass in the mix. So what would you do with these oddballs? There are not enough of them to try load development. So do you just toss them into the "bad brass" recycle bin, have a "good brass that just isn't going to be used" bin, or something else?

Page generated in 0.03435 seconds with 8 queries