View Single Post
Old July 24, 2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Kosh75287

Mr. Guffey, I am delighted that you happened into all that inexpensive .30-06 brass, and I'm all but delirious that you'll never be out much money for reformed brass. I don't have access to that much surplus brass, certainly not at the price you paid, so the values associated with MY cost/benefit analysis are profoundly different. I cited the prices I found online to obviate the need to explain to anyone why I didn't just buy new brass for the rifle.

The press I am using is an old Lyman Spartan press I inherited. My LEE single stage press pulled out at the mounting recesses, when I was resizing some MilSurp 7.62x51 brass. I learned later that the brass could very well have come from a "generously chambered" machine gun. I gotta admit, though, by the time I got all 600 of the resized, my upper body strength had substantially improved!

I am aware of the problems associated with over-crimping cartridges in a seating die, as well as seating bullets with the seating die screwed down too far. The results of doing so are glaringly apparent.
That's not the die in which THIS bulge, which is almost invisible, and barely palpable, is forming. Impossible? Obviously not. But I DO seem to have a talent for stumbling into the IMPROBABLE with disheartening frequency.

Mr. Mobuck, I am trimming the cases before reforming them. Tried it without doing so, and quickly learned why it's a good idea to trim first. Only cost me a coupla cases to learn THAT lesson, thankfully. I don't have the means to inside ream, nor outside turn the reformed cases, but it may not be necessary. I've been measuring the neck thickness as I expand it from .308" TO .323", and it appears the reformed neck could, if anything, be TOO thin. I hope not.

Mr. Hartcreek, I have tried chambering the formed brass by all three methods, and you're right about single-feeding them. I takes SOME fiddling to get the casehead to engage the extractor claw, THEN feed into the chamber, but the cases are going in the right way, to best of my knowledge.

It took several attempts, but I DO finally have them all chambering. Using the "ink test", it looks like I didn't take into account the lengthening of the case that arises from bumping the shoulder a hair's breadth further back.

I very VERY VERY much appreciate everyone's input in the matter. All of you made this process FAR less painful than it COULD have been!

NOW, I am off to anneal the cases, as I SHOULD have, in the FIRST place.

Thanks, ALL!

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 8 queries