View Single Post
Old March 26, 2018, 11:27 PM   #62
bamaranger

agreed

The semiauto scout rifle article was interesting. But I'd suggest that SA fire/a higher rate and volume of fire, only matters on multiple targets. Coopers comments on rate of fire for the military scout was something to the effect of "once, may be twice." And he stressed accuracy (timed) and first round hits. And while strings of fire for score are the yardstick we use to measure accuracy and ability, the need for extended strings of fire afield, for most rifle use, for most of us, is limited. Hogs and varmints and some competition the exception.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to SA rifles, hi-cap box mags, and the like......I just don't need them for most all my rifle shooting. And I recognize that the military based actions, whether AR, AK, or Garand derived, are rugged and proven. Who wants a rifle that is delicate, right? But the bolt, well certain bolts, are just as rugged, arguably more so. Certainly simpler.

The other issue is the use of intermediate powered cartridges. Remember the scout rifle is general purpose. The .223 based cartridges and the 7.62x39 begin to pale when considering critters much over whitetail/hog size. If you must shoot a critter bigger, or live in an area where same are frequent, you could use more cartridge.

Certainly having come up in the age of the Garand, and the M1 carbine, Cooper was not opposed to SA actions. But size and weight (of the rifle ) mattered, and it still does. I hunted a scout scoped Garand off and on a good bit this deer season, and you notice the weight quickly if YOU have to hump it very far, you are not service age anymore, and have any other maladies. My Dad's deer rifles all got shorter and lighter of the years, now I know why! Aside, and counterpoint, I've read of some fellow with a lot of Grizzlies to his score, who hunted them with a Garand!!! So eight rounds of semi '06 makes some sense when the critter can eat you. MIght be some comfort in the bayonet too!

Page generated in 0.02894 seconds with 8 queries