View Single Post
Old February 22, 2014, 08:37 AM   #19
kraigwy

I don't shoot Appleseed (wont go into why) but I use the shoot the same thing using Sub-Caliber devices with the M16.

It was the CNGB Postal, (Chief of the National Guard Bureau) using the same target as the appleseed.

We had 4 targets, one for Standing, 10 shots in 10 minutes.
Setting 10 shots in 50 seconds, requiring a mag change shooting 2 and 8,
Prone RF 10 shots in 60 seconds, again a mag change 2 and 8.
Prone SF, 20 shots in 20 minutes.

The size of the target represents different ranges. Standing 100 yards, setting was 200 yards, prone was 300 and prone slow fire was 400 yards.

Not as easy as one thinks thought I think my best score was a 249 (forgot how many Vs.

You shot as an individual and a unit team with in the state. The targets were sent to the NGB Marksmanship Unit (Nashville then Little Rock) for scoring. The individual state winner got a belt buckle, and the unit got hats.

The top state unit were sent to the NG MTU (Nashville, then Littler Rock after the NG MTU moved to Camp Robinson) to compete against other states.

I wont the state individual a couple times also the Unit match. Seemed weird, to send a 4 person team from Nome AK (I was CO of a AK Native Unit at the time) to Nashville TN, put them up in a hotel, to shoot 50 rounds of 22s in about 30 minutes, then fly them home. Your tax dollars at work.

It was a lot of fun, but more important, practice and shooting these matches, trying to make the Unit then state team, really increased the marksmanship abilities of the NG Shooters.

To answer John, I don't see how it's possible to successfully compete without a sling.

Taken an the National Shoot at Nashville in the early 80s (damn I was young)

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02298 seconds with 8 queries