View Single Post
Old January 15, 2009, 01:03 PM   #127
divemedic

Actually, employees are fired for legal activities, political beliefs, and for how they vote all the time. Here are a few examples:

http://www.workrights.org/issue_life...legaltimes.pdf

We are far past any notion that only the wealthy can vote, and political candidates of all parties agree that Americans should be able to participate in politics without regard to their economic status.
Employer coercion through politically based terminations threatens this civic ideal. Individuals may have the First Amendment right to express political support or opposition, but if such activities cost them their jobs, then employers will have undermined these political rights and hampered the workings of democracy.

A Buzzards Bay man has sued The Scotts Co. , the lawn care giant, for firing him after a drug test showed nicotine in his urine, indicating that he had violated a company policy forbidding employees to smoke on or off the job.

As it happens I have fired workers for smoking cigarettes and I certainly will not hire anyone who smokes, not just on the job but at all. In the same manner I certainly will not hire anyone who voted for Obama.

I worked for a Mormon-owned CPA firm... I was fired from my job after admitting that I had voted NO on prop 102...The former employee has contacted several attorneys, but no one will take the case because Arizona is a right-to-work and hire-at-will state.

Page generated in 0.02686 seconds with 8 queries