View Single Post
Old June 13, 2019, 06:52 AM   #7
TunnelRat

The flaring was a leftover from the FBI contract pistols, IIRC. I did a test back when I got my Gen 5 where I compared it to my Gen 3 in terms of angled magazine insertions (the flaring is only on the sides). I didn't find it helped much. Again, the magazines are already tapered and the interior of the magazine well is beveled already. The flaring theoretically let's you have a wider angle, but you still have to get the top of the magazine in enough to ride up the magazine well. In practice I didn't see much of a difference, and you could already be fairly angled to begin with. Yes stress would affect magazine changes, but the emphasis should be more on getting a good grip on the replacement magazine IMO.

The only spot of wear I have on mine is the left edge of the slide right where it contacts the kydex holster and even that is only on the beveled edge. I have literally hundreds of presentations from a kydex holster at this point. I can take pictures later, but it's held up much better than my Gen 4s, including the barrel. The old frying pan finish is still the best for wear in my experience. The slide stop finish has worn much faster, but the part is also much thicker and makes more contact with the holster than previous models.

I haven't had any issues with chipping or cracking with the cutout. There's a range near me that has a Gen 2 G19 for rent. This poor thing has been abused beyond belief and I haven't seen any cracks. If I had my way I'd have one without the flaring and no cutout. The issues I had with Gen 4 soured me, but hopefully they're all resolved now as that would be close to that. I do think the other changes on the Gen 5 such as the thicker slide stop, different trigger return spring, thicker striker point, and different barrel are all positives. https://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the...-5-129141.html

I'm not saying these things can't happen, I'm saying on my examples they haven't been a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 13, 2019 at 08:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.04370 seconds with 8 queries