View Single Post
Old June 20, 2010, 11:36 PM   #71
raimius

I think you read too much into my post.

Here is what I think:
Local, State, and Federal governments all have their place. I believe that basic rights should be uniformly protected. In this respect, I am extremely glad for the Bill of Rights and 14th Amendment. Should the federal government have sole authority? NO! There is a division of power and responsibility within our system of government for a reason.

I would love to trust local governments to make the right choices (same for the federal government). Since this is not always the case, I would like a baseline at the federal level, with options for more protection at local levels. Obviously, state and local governments cannot be trusted exclusively (see Chicago, Washington DC, MA, CA, etc). Yet, the federal government isn't always a reliable protector either.

Our society has defined the baseline of the RTKBA as the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Via the 14th, we should be able to establish that baseline against ALL levels of governmental intrusion. Having a "right" from the federal government does no good if the city denies it (and vice versa).

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries