View Single Post
Old February 27, 2018, 01:55 AM   #24
LogicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
Another concern is the number of cheap AR-15s on the market. As the number of available guns are available, the greater the chance the can get into the wrong hands. Should AR-15s and AK-47s be treated like a hunting rifle, or should there be more restrictions? I can see AR-15s and AK-47s being added to the NFA list and the FOPA list. Why are NFA weapons so rarely used in crimes? I believe it is because of required registration, required safe storage, and relative rarity.

I know it would take a while before these changes have an effect, but the next mass shooting could be one of us or one of our loved ones. Do we say they should have had more guns?
If a loved one was shot, I would not call for AR-15s or AK-47s to be banned. And adding them to the NFA and/or FOPA list? All that would lead to is then calling for, as has been pointed out above, the M1 Carbines, M14s,/M1As, Min-14s, etc...to be outlawed as well. Then when those are outlawed, and someone does a mass shooting like the Texas Clock Tower massacre which was done with a bolt-action rifle or the Washington Navy Yard which used a shotgun, we'd here cries to ban or restrict access to those weapons. No thanks.

Furthermore, given that AR-15s and AK-47s are very customizable and designed as Everyperson's weapons, and basic infantry weapons, they are the epitome of the types of weapons that the Second Amendment explicitly prohibits the government from being able to ban in any capacity.

You mention that NFA weapons are rarely used in crimes. Well neither are AR-15s and AK-47s. Aside from mass shootings, which are a very recent phenomenon, AR-15s and AK-47s are virtually never used in crimes.

Page generated in 0.03929 seconds with 8 queries