Thread: 260 Rem
View Single Post
Old August 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
WCW

Congrats on the new rifle, and I can tell you from experience it's a great game-getter of a caliber for sure. I have an older Remington 700 with a 1:9 twist. 140 gr. bullets shoot ok in the limited testing I've done with them (only tried Hornady bullets), but my rifle really shines with 120-129 gr. Bullets. The Hornady 129 gr bullets shoot great, but my most accurate load so far has been with the plain-jane Speer 120 gr bullet. Likewise Sierra's (very little difference if any). The load I use for hunting is the 125 gr Nosler Partition. In my rifle that bullet is plenty accurate for hunting, and the penetration is excellent.

The two most accurate powders I have used are RL 19 and H4350. Both of those powders required very little tweaking for peak accuracy, and both produced good velocity. H4350 would be a good choice to start with.

I think with your particular rifling twist, the 140 gr bullets may well produce some stellar groups. My experience has been that this caliber is inherently accurate, and very easy to find a good load for. I'm not into long range shooting or anything like that, so haven't tried any of the bullets especially tailored for that type of shooting. For me, the experimentation with loads in a new rifle is one of the great things about reloading, so have fun.

Page generated in 0.02736 seconds with 8 queries