View Single Post
Old September 2, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9
crowbeaner

All 3 of my Lyman 358429 moulds throw bullets between 168 and 175 grains depending on the alloy. What is written above about the nose length and the loaded length being too long for the short cylinder S&W is true. The M19/66 and the 586/686 have the longer cylinder that allows you to load the bullet out. Crimp heavily in the crimp groove to keep the bullets from inching out during recoil.
If you want a 158 grain Keith style bullet, I recommend the Saeco mould. I have a 4 cavity that shucks them out like peas. Sized to .358" and loaded over 14.5 of WW296/H110 and magnum primers, they shoot fine.
The hog hitting issue above reiterates what I found out years ago deer hunting with a 44 Redhawk; the jacketed bullets look racy, but the on game performance is lacking unless fired from a CARBINE length barrel. I lost a magnificent buck hit broadside at 40 yards with a 240 grain Nosler HP. He ran like a rabbit, and I looked for him for 3 days before giving up. I went back to hard lead and never lost another with the revolver. YMMV. CB.

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 8 queries