View Single Post
Old November 26, 2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy
So let's say that Joe Citizen from State A with a valid CCW is driving through states where his permit is honored on his way to visit Aunt Gertrude in NJ. So he carries it with FMJ training ammo, unloads and stores it all separately in the trunk per the wording of the law, then proceeds to stay with his family. He doesn't reload it until he's back out of the state.

Was that legally allowed? What if he stops for lunch on the way. Is that a "reasonably necessary" deviation?
I think I got sucked into a discussion of the FOPA because of the mention of traveling through other states. On reading the question again, it appears the question is really about New Jersey state law. Since Joe Citizen has a permit or permits that cover him for all the states between home and New Jersey, he doesn't need to worry about the FOPA, but he does have to worry about New Jersey.

New Jersey does allow transporting firearms into the state. From the state police web site:

Quote:
All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.
Based on the above, I would say the scenario described would be legal.

[Edit to add] And I would be wrong in saying that. See post #9 by Spats McGee.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.04064 seconds with 8 queries