Thread: 45 colt in IDPA
View Single Post
Old December 4, 2010, 06:43 AM   #23
1911rocks

An Observation

I shot IPSC for years. It was simple, bring what you carry (mostly revolvers back then). I was an alternative to NRA PPC. It was a Revolver world. Many of us thought NRA Practical Police Combat was far from the name. We would only load (5) rounds in a six shot revolver. Then some folks said NRA PPC wasn't Practical and IPSC was born. Initially there weren't multiple Classes/Divisions. Revolvers competed at the same time on the same courses as Semi-autos. In life if you're defending yourself with a 1911 and the BG has a J Frame S&W, and your 1911 doesn't "burp", and you put more lead on target than the BG you have a better chance than the BG. Early on the idea of Major/Minor became apparent. Power Factor was determined with Ballistic Pendulums. Then came the competitors who were "buying" skills. Some of the early competitors were sons of Custom shops. They didn't come to compete as much as market their shops weapons. Of course, there were competitors who "weaseled" the rules for the sake of winning. This became easily seen in a course of fire called " El Presidente" . The shooter was required to draw and fire 4 rds each into (3) targets. Then someone thought a 15rd 1911 magazine would make it faster. The fix....El Presidente now had an "Addendum" "with one reload". This was because either no one ever considered guys shooting Berettas or Mod. 59s or they wanted to level the playing field. Many of us who were competing to improve our Combat Skills, wondered who was going to "blow dead" the BG who had a Model 59 when we were carrying Revolvers and 1911s. Meanwhile, the rules were growing and it became more difficult for the Shooter who competes to exist in an environment dominated by Competitors who shoot.
Then there's USPSA (about the same era as IPSC). Sounds like history repeating itself. Just my Opinion.

Page generated in 0.03349 seconds with 8 queries