View Single Post
Old November 28, 2014, 08:15 AM   #41
ezmiraldo

Rob,

Thanks you for your input. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I've changed the title of the thread to avoid misrepresenting your position -- sorry if it initially took your words out of context.

I agree that sticking to the conventional wisdom is not always the best strategy (technology changes, understanding of issues improves, skills change, etc.). While I agree with your take on trying to get rid of malfunctioning guns and not viewing malfunctions as normal/routine, I still disagree on not emphasizing malfunction clearing in training/practice. To me it boils down to this: Muscle memory. If a critical skill isn't repeatedly practiced, every range trip, until the point it is done automatically without thought, then when SHTF and one is fighting for his life, lack of muscle memory might be a deadly disadvantage. It seems to me during highly stressful fights for one's life, probability of inducing malfunctions goes up due to the nature of the deadly encounter (plus, there's this annoying murphy's law)... My sig p226 never malfunctions (had only one slight hickup during 1500 rounds fired from it). But, I practice clearing all types of malfunctions two handed, and with each hand single-handedly during every practice (takes about 10% of range time), and much more extensively during dry-fire practice. Is this wrong, in your opinion?

I think this is an interesting and important conversation to have, and your take on this issue is much appreciated. I wish more experts/instructors would chime in, like you did... Thank you for your thoughts on this!

Last edited by ezmiraldo; November 28, 2014 at 08:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries