View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1
dayman

.38spl vs. .357 for target.

Basically my question is whether to buy a gun chambered specifically in .38spl or a .357mag as a target gun - so, pretty much exclusively putting .38spl through it.

After getting my prodigal sp101 back I've sort of fallen in love with shooting it. I haven't given up on my autos, but I find the double action pull - while taking a lot more active thought - is just more fun. I'm not going to fight it as, at the moment, revolvers are a lot easier to come by (and often cheaper) than the plastic high-cap autos that have historically caught my eye. However, with it's 2.25" barrel my current revolver is not the best target gun in the world.
So, I decided to start looking around for something better for targets. My initial though - based on looks and the fact that I don't have python money - was a 4" 586/686.
However, I read that shooting .38spl through a .357 screws up the accuracy a little due to having too much headspace in the chamber. I don't imagine this will be an issue for quite some time, but I plan on keeping whatever I wind up with for the next 50 years or so, and hope to eventually improve to the point that it might. So, would I be better off in the long run buying something specifically chambered for .38spl? Or - since I do intend on getting into reloading this summer - would it be doable to just reload .38spcl loads into .357 brass and avoid the problem entirely?

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries