Thread: The Mad Russian
View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Unspoken

These SVT 40s are like the yeti- I always saw pictures of them, but had serious doubts about their existence...until I bumped into one face to face. I was amazed to find one in my little backwoods neck of the world. Granted, I've only been in the shooting culture for a year now, so I'm sure you more experienced guys have bumped into them along your path.

When I was checking it out for the first time, I was lucky enough to be in the presence of a history professor who knew what every last stamp on the receiver meant, so I got a crash course on the rifle's history, the Winter War, SA marks, etc. He actually had serious intentions of buying it too, until I told him my entire mission of the day is to get that svt. He said "You're young, your collection is just getting started...it's all yours," which was a totally classy move, one I'll always be appreciative of.

No cleaning rod, I'm guessing the Finns highjacked it...the mag is a repro too, which bothers me some. No biggie. The gas port is a little rusty, but not serious enough to impact it negatively. This is my first experience with any gun that uses adjustable gas, so I've been having fun stripping the gas system to tweak the settings. 1.2 seems to be what it prefers.

Like Tahunua said, that red stock is strange, totally unlike all the ones I've seen pics of. I was a little suspicious about it, thinking it might be a bubba job, but I've recently been convinced otherwise.

Nonetheless, it's the sexiest & most interestingly historical rifle in my modest collection.
GO GET ONE! You'll thank me later.

Page generated in 0.03132 seconds with 8 queries