View Single Post
Old November 19, 2009, 09:59 AM   #87
booker_t

It comes down to one thing, mentorship. Ranges that don't require you to either take a class or have at least a 15-minute 1-on-1 session with the Range Officer prior to joining the range are asking for this type of Tom Foolery. Honestly I blame the range almost as much as the individual, assuming that type of instruction wasn't required.

Well maybe it comes down to another thing as well, getting into a rush. People think the more rounds they put down range the better they are getting. Shoot shoot shoot, if something interrupts their shooting, they get aggitated and stop thinking about safety, stop thinking about procedure, especially if it hasn't been trained into them.

I like to put the gun down every few mags or every 15min or so. Step back, do something else. Sort the crap in my bag, check my email on the phone, tie my shoe, go to the bathroom, chat with the people next to me, whatever. During that time I think about the last few mags I just shot, what I liked and what needs to be worked on for the next round of shooting. Sometimes I'll write this stuff down.

Slow, methodical, precise, directed practice... even if I'm working double-taps or rapid shooting. You're either getting better or you're getting worse, so make the time count.

Page generated in 0.03725 seconds with 8 queries