View Single Post
Old January 31, 2012, 11:24 AM   #67
tirod

Quote:
outshines the 6.8 SPC in killing potential.
It's not about whether it can do that. Since the 6.8 does outsell the 6.5G in products offered on the market, including ammo, I'll pass on this as nothing more than the typical koolaid delirium. Hunters are voting with dollars, not internet postings.

I didn't bring the 6.8 into the conversation. Most of it was shoved in because some apparently think it's the target of the VS. comparison anytime 6.5G is mentioned. That's their problem. Overcompensating for something?

As proposed by the OP 6.5G vs .308, if I was hunting, I'd pick 6.5G. You get the AR15 platform, lighter weight, less recoil, and handier size. Those are all advantages over an AR10, so much so it was only adopted by a few small countries. The AR15 is in service with 65, over 9 million have been made, and you can order parts from a dozen vendors and they all work together.

I've hunted with .308 in a HK91 for twenty years, it's not that much fun. Had 6.8 never been invented, I'd be shooting 6.5G. It's clearly superior to 5.56 on medium live game, simply because it has a better fit to the actual working conditions. We don't shoot deer out to 800m, nor do we need more than 1000 foot pounds. Something that delivers that out to 350m will do it most of the time, and that's a small percentage situation.

There's no problem with the 6.5G in and of itself, what I find amusing to poke hole in is all the overblown statements and exaggeration of the 6.5G fans. They can't and won't just accept it for what it is. For some reason, it has to be better that XX cartridge every time.

A 123 gr bullet with 30gn of powder can't violate the laws of physics, it does just fine, but it's not the best answer for everything. That's why other cartridges exist. Pinning one's ego entirely on one cartridge isn't mature.

Page generated in 0.02957 seconds with 8 queries