View Single Post
Old May 13, 2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm just looking for a way to clear a basement without making yourself a target going downstairs. To me you seem doomed going down the stairs
Whether law enforcement, military, or the average Joe, this is undoubtedly the most dangerous part of clearing a building. Any way you cut it, stairs are a fatal funnel, and I absolutely hate 'em.

The only way I can see to prevent it (on your own property) is to deny access to the basement in the first place. Back when I lived in a house with an actual basement, we put steel bars over the windows and a steel pipe across the door. That was done by screwing two large eye bolts into both sides of the door frame and then running a steel pipe through the eye bolts. Two holes drilled through the pipe, just on the inside of the eye bolts, allowed padlocks to be placed so the bar could not be removed.

If you can't do that, remember that the fatal funnel works both ways . Cover the steps and wait on the cops.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.04226 seconds with 8 queries