View Single Post
Old January 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
cbhester

6.5x284 Norma for BR Shooting & Deer Hunting

I've had a thread going for a few days now entitled "7mm Ultra Mag Opinions" where I have received lots of good opinions and advice. I am now entertaining the idea of purchasing a 6.5x284 Norma which has interested me for some time now. I have been wanting to get into long range bench rest shooting (for fun, not competition) but I don't really have the cash to be buying a good BR rifle and a deer rifle (I sold my last deer rifle at the end of last season) so I am looking to maybe find one to use for both.

I do hand load my ammo, but I think $ is still an issue with the 6.5x284.

First of all, is there any reason that I'm not aware of that the 6.5x284 isn't suitable for deer hunting?

I'm looking at the Savage Long Rarnge Hunter that comes in 6.5x284 as well as 6.5 Creedmoor. From the ballistics that I have seen, the 284 seems to be a little faster than the Creedmoor. The 284 in the Savage LRH has a 26" barrel and a 1:8 twist. Is this good? I am not well informed on what twist best fits what needs and calibers, etc.

Second of all, does anyone recommend a different 6.5mm round other than the 284 or creedmoor and if so, why?

Thanks again for all of the help in the last thread!

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries