View Single Post
Old August 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #24
vlasfarg

Ammo matters as well as how well the pistol is broken in

My 2 cents here if it still matters. The thread is old.

I have 2 22lr pistols: a walther P22 and a Bersa Thunder22.

They both have 4000+ rounds through them. At this point they even cycle with subsonic ammo.

I still have ejection issues with the Federal bulk ammo in the Bersa. It seems that the brass expends on few rounds and prevents ejection. So once they were all spent, I did not buy them anymore. Blazer and Rem GB are doing great in all my 22lr (including the Ruger 10/22)

Some have issues with HP not feeding reliably due to the shape of the bullet. I had that issue when the guns were new.

Both are nice guns that are fun and cheap to shoot.

What works great? CCI non-bulk anything. Never failed.

At the distance I shoot the pistols (up to 15 yards), I cannot tell accuracy difference due to the ammo, so I shoot the cheapest (mainly Rem GB).

Life expectancy: I do not know how durable the P22 is. I have read that I should expect issues around 20K rounds. The customer service is known to be excellent - I lost the front sight and S&W sent replacements in a matter of days. The Bersa is built to be a .380 trainer, so it is a (good looking) "tank" that so far does not show any sign of wear. The Bersa is my preferred 22lr pistol at this point (fits better in my hand, better sights, all metal pistol ...).
I had to use the Bersa lifetime service for a 9mm I own, the gun came back and has been perfect since then.

I did not care for the Target 22lr pistols. I shot them but they are, to me, less fun than these small pistols that are the P22 and Bersa Thunder22. Ruger has an interesting 22lr pistol now, and I read that they are very nice to shoot. I would love to try one.

V.

Page generated in 0.03707 seconds with 8 queries