View Single Post
Old August 24, 2014, 05:38 PM   #30
natman

Quote:
What I learned:
* I need to improve flinching
If you're flinching from a 223 I've got to ask about your hearing protection because it shouldn't be from recoil.
Quote:
* I need to remember to use breathing control
Yep. Practice it till it becomes habit.
Quote:
* Moving closer to the eye piece makes the target seem a lot bigger
Moving your eye to the right position makes it easier to see the target. There is a point of diminishing returns in getting closer. This will be painfully reinforced if you're shooting a rifle that actually kicks.
Quote:
* I am ready to move up to 200yd.
No, not really. I'm going to try to say this as nicely as possible, but if you are shooting 4-5 inch groups from a rest at 100 yards there's some fundamental work to be done before you make things more challenging.

I'd recommend that you get a good 22 bolt action and practice shooting at 25 yards until you get good at it, then move out to 50 yards. Even at today's prices it's still cheaper than centerfire and recoil and noise are non-issues. At 50 yards you should be shooting groups you can cover with a quarter. Then work on it till you can cover them with a nickel. Then you can go back to shooting centerfires.

BTW, as much as I hate see-through rings, they may be necessary because that thumbhole stock appears to have very little drop and a ring that high may be required.

Page generated in 0.02969 seconds with 8 queries