View Single Post
Old November 16, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Kleinzeit

Well, yes, you're right there. I did over-simplify a little.

If I were to state my case more carefully, I would probably say things like...
  • "liberals" aren't all "elites"
  • "conservatives" aren't all "common folk"
  • some conservatives are "elites"
  • some liberals are "common folk"
  • there are different kinds of "conservatives" (fiscal, social, etc.)
  • there are different kinds of liberals (fiscal, social, etc.)
  • there are different kinds of elites (politicians who exert power over the lives of common folk; wealthy industrialists who exert power over the lives of common folk, etc)
  • not all people who call themselves "conservative" do so for the same reasons, or agree on every point with all other people who call themselves "conservative"
  • not all people who call themselves "liberal" do so for the same reasons, or agree on every point with all other people who call themselves "liberal"
  • there are liberals who favor gun rights
  • there are conservatives who don't
etc. etc.

The main reason the proportion of "conservatives" is so much higher than the proportion of "liberals" is that there are so many issues that one may hold a conservative position on, that many people who might otherwise be considered liberal will nonetheless identify themselves as conservative. As that Gallup link you kindly provided shows, 22% of registered Democrats call themselves "conservative", while only 4% of Republicans call themselves "liberal." Anyway, it might not come out to 50/50 but it isn't all black-and-white, us-versus-them, either.

(But I think you know that.)

My point is: this is exactly why people who call themselves "conservative" shouldn't go around assuming that everyone on the other side of politics is necessarily against all of their causes.

Last edited by Kleinzeit; November 16, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.02804 seconds with 8 queries