View Single Post
Old September 15, 2008, 09:56 PM   #8
globemaster3

Here's what you really need to do.
1. Go to a local archery pro shop. If possible, find a shop that just does bows and not somewhere that dabbles in everything. Not that shops like that aren't good, but you will tend to find more experienced archery shooters in bow pro shops.
2. Get your draw length measured. Most have a special setup that looks like a long bow with a marked arrow attached to the string that goes through an eyelet above the grip of the bow.
3. Select a bow with that draw length. 31" is not abnormal, but I have not seen anything longer in a while.

If you have a problem getting a bow with a long enough draw length, there are some mitigators for you.
1. Have a loop installed on your bow string. This will protect the serving where you will be knocking your arrow, reduce the pressure your release will place on the arrow (if the release was clipped straight to the string), and make up for that missing length. It normally adds about 1/2" to the draw length.
2. Get an adjustable release. My Scott Pro Caliper is as old as the hills, but still shoots well and is adjustable in length, allowing shooters to make up for that missing length.

Getting the draw length right is important since form is important. Shooting a bow with too short of a length can be uncomfortable since you break over the peak, but you are not at full draw. Being at full draw in the valley is important because it allows you to relax in the full draw and hold position longer. Being relaxed while at full draw will improve your aim and your form through the release.

The overdraw does NOT adjust your length of pull! It just allows you to shorten your arrow length and increase velocity. With carbon arrows these days and IBO speeds in the 315-320 range, they really aren't needed.

If you have any more questions about it, pm me and I can get as detailed as you need. Archery hunting adds a new dimension to the experience.

Last edited by globemaster3; September 17, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typos

Page generated in 0.04157 seconds with 8 queries