View Single Post
Old July 5, 2007, 02:04 PM   #8
BillCA

+1 on bobcats being unlikely to go after horses or people.

Bobcats have a reputation for being spunky, onery critters which is due partly, I think, to their smaller size. They're very defensive and will hiss-spit-growl when confronted and may lash out if cornered. The best bet is to give the cat room to escape.

I've had one "close encounter" here is CA in the Sierras and that was fairly short. He wandered into our camp area just before dawn and I think he was looking for water as he appeared very interested in our 5 gallon water jug. As soon as he heard us, he bounded off. When we wandered down to the ranger's office about 1/4 mile to report it, I left a large bowl of clean water to one side of the camp. When we returned the water was gone and his prints clearly visible. He'd come for a drink then left without inspecting the other items in the area.

I'd think a bobcat would be more interested in chickens, piglets or other small critters than larger livestock. House cats and dogs would be targets too. If your farm/ranch has watering troughs those may be the source of interest, especially in hot, dry summers.

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries