View Single Post
Old February 24, 2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Theohazard

Not that I know of. Metric left-handed threads tend to allow the can to loosen less than right-handed threads. Many people claim this is due to the difference between the direction of the threads and the direction of the rifling twist on most pistols. Me, I think it probably has more to do with the difference in the thread design between the two types of thread specs. For example, the difference between the two 9mm standard threadings (13.5x1 left-hand metric and 1/2x28 right-hand) are more than just the thread direction. And these differences are also there between the thread specs for the other calibers. Someday when I have more time on my hands I'll do a detailed experiment to see if I'm right or not.

I've heard of people using Teflon tape on the threads to tighten things up. As long as the can is still allowed to shoulder properly this shouldn't hurt anything, but I've never tried it myself. Some people use lock washers, and this is a bad idea since it can misaligned the can. Me, I just make sure to tighten my can if it looks like it's coming loose. The key is to notice it's coming loose before it backs off the threads too far.

Once my Octane is screwed onto the barrel, I pull out on the can (compressing and unlocking the piston assembly) and rotate it until the big "SilencerCo" is on the left side (because I'm right handed). This means I can quickly see if my silencer is coming unscrewed during firing. You could also put a white mark on the back edge of the can to accomplish the same thing.

This is the main advantage in my opinion of an offset design like the Osprey. It's really easy to see if the can is coming unscrewed during firing.

Last edited by Theohazard; February 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.02992 seconds with 8 queries