View Single Post
Old December 16, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1
RedneckFur

Help choosing an AR15

In the next week, I plan on buying my first AR15. I'm having trouble deciding on what I want/need though. There are so many options out there, and having little experience with AR's, I dont know where to start.

I'm a pretty good shot. I've been shooting for years, and I've bolt actions in many calibers from .22lr to .308win. Bolt guns I know pretty well, but I'm lost when it comes to AR's.

The reason I'm intrested in an AR is my intrests in shooting have changed. I've got a few heavy barreled, accruate bolt guns, but most of my collection is soviet surplus rifles, and one AK that I built from a Saiga sporter. I'm tired of only having the option of shooting commie guns with terrible triggers and sights, or heavy rifles best suited for bench rest shooting.

The AR I purchase is primarily going to be a range gun. Target pratice out to 300 yards, max, with possibly some use in 3-gun shoots and some varmint hunting in its future. I'd also like to do an appleseed shoot with it.

To date, I've only shot two different AR's, and both were on the low end of the spectrum, one a locally built gun with budget parts, and the other an olympic plinker.

What I know is this- I want the 4 position adjustable stock, because all the ones I've tried can be adjusted to fit me well. I've got very broad sholders, but shortish arms. I would like to get a flat-top upper with removable carry handle with built in sights. I'm not a tactical sort of guy, so I dont really need quad rails and lots of accessories.

I do handload, but I'm not planning on loading .223 from the beginning. I'll most likely be shooting factory ammo in this rifle, and using cheaper stuff for informal pratice.

I have $850 to spend on this rifle. Can you recomend some AR brands for me in this price range that will meet my needs? Also, I'd like to be schooled on barrel twist rates. I know that AR's can have several different rates, but I dont know the advantages and disadvantages of each. I THINK id like a 20" barrel, but I don't know if there will be an benefits over a 16".

I dont want to build my first rifle, so I'd prefer to buy one ready to go out of the box.

If you have any questions for me, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries