View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

SD9 vs G19 vs P95 three way smack down

Hello folks. I'm in the market for a pistol and have several options in front of me right now. I would like a gun that can be carried, but not
Necessarily all the time, since it would be impossible for me to do so anyway. My HD is pretty much covered by my Mossberg 500; but it would nice to have a backup to that / something I could access faster.

One choice is a Glock 19, probably going to cost me $550 or so; another possibility is a S&W SD9, probably going to run me $330 ish plus $25 for an ape trigger kit; the third option is a Ruger P95, which seem to be going for around $350 or so at the moment.

Now, I've heard good and bad about all these guns; the Glock is the most expensive but supposedly the most rugged and reliable and is certainly the most iconic, and as a former candidate for the local police academy I've
Shot Glocks quite a lot, so am the most familiar with them. The con here is that is carries the highest price tag; delaying both the weapon purchase itself as well as actually acquiring a carry license by several months at best.

The Ruger is the least carry friendly of the three and technically the cheapest, like the Glock they are rugged and reliable; intimidating looking too! Though I must say I think I actually the Glock ergos better, but by a slim margin. Also, I am less used to a safety.

Now, the SD9, if I understand it correctly this is basically a copy of the Glock, especially once the trigger is improved. It seems like the best deal on the face of it; but what am I missing with an SD9 nine that I get with a Glock? And that brings me to another question? If the SD is a Glock copy and the M&P is supposed to be a step up from the SD is it also a step up from the Glock? Would it be worth waiting even longer for an M&P?

So TFL, advise me! I've got a couple months of saving before I go ahead with this purchase...

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries