View Single Post
Old February 13, 2017, 02:12 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I've called turkeys in with every type of call out there. They all work most of the time. I've even called them in with no call, simply doing my best to sound like a turkey. Like most, I have a vest full of calls and in my humble experience it doesn't make much difference which call I use, it makes a big difference in how I use it. Calling too much is a BIG mistake. Turkeys aren't deaf, they always hear you. The fact that they don't respond doesn't mean squat. Most of them now days simply come in silent and it might take them a while. New hunters, and lots of old hunters lose patience and start calling again. Big mistake. All you're doing is making noise and movement and it might be when the bird has circled around behind you and it'll see you doing it. If you get a response from a bird the best thing you can do most times is simply shut up and start looking. If a bird is interested, it will come to you without your repeated calling. Some birds stop half way or so and never come closer no matter how much calling you do. That's the nature of the bird. The hen is supposed to start moving to the gobbler. Jakes will usually be the ones that come all the way in, not the big birds. If you want to get one good call to start, get a good box call or a good slate call and focus on getting some decent sound out of it. FWIW, even a bad sounding call will work if it's used sparingly. I've been hunting them for almost sixty years and I've killed around a hundred so far. If they're interested you'll do OK. Just don't over-do it. Good luck and have fun.

Page generated in 0.02232 seconds with 8 queries