View Single Post
Old March 10, 2018, 06:18 AM   #16
bamaranger

inspired

Prompted by all of this 16 ga talk, I took a 1950 Savage 311 to the range today to pattern as a candidate for a hunt. I liked the idea of a retro gun, my Dad hunted a 16 ga double, as did a grand old gent down the street from me as a kid. And it is a delight to carry. At 26" tubes on its diminutive frame, (Jim Watson, I suspect sized to the gauge) it weighs a good deal less than my 870, and it is just as short as the 21" pump gun and shorter than bamaboy's 24" Moss 835 by a good bit.

However, my hopes were not high, as the old gun is choked IC/M. But hey, I thought maybe it would surprise me with modern ammo. It did not. At 30 yds, with the modified tube, patterns w/ several varieties of shells were just too thin for me to consider using on a tom past 25 yds, Which would be very sporting, but not lead to as many gobblers in the truck. In truth, the modified barrel threw a modified pattern.....slightly right to point of aim I might add. Best performer was Remington Express Long Range, 1-1/8 oz of #6. The price point 1oz #6 from two makers were basically rabbit loads. Which is probably what this old gun was intended (and quail).

It was a treat to handle and shoot. No telling how long it had been since the old gun had been fired. But a turkey gun it is not. But I probably already knew that.

Page generated in 0.03682 seconds with 8 queries