Thread: Deer Baiting
View Single Post
Old April 26, 2013, 03:37 PM   #39
603Country

I guess you could call what I do baiting. I live in central Texas and I feed corn year-round and have plumper healthier deer because of it. And all the years I've been hunting (about 55), I can't remember shooting a buck over corn. A few does maybe, but no bucks (maybe a spike or two). I use the corn feeders to establish deer movement patterns and I hunt those expected movements. The corn brings the does, the does attract the bucks. I have many more deer on my place since I started feeding corn.

And the corn attracts the coons and squirrels, and they in turn attract the coyotes and bobcats. And the corn attracts the pigs, and I do shoot them over corn when I can, but more pigs are taken in the acorn flats and the open fields that I hunt.

Like PawPaw, I do like my box blinds. I'll get my coffee thermos and a good book and my little heater and get comfortable. If I see something, great. And I don't think that hunting like that makes me a bad hunter or a cheater. I stalked for years and I can still track with the best of them. I used to say that I could track a lizard across dry rocks, though it wasn't really true even in my younger days. But I can track a wounded deer across wet leaves, even with no blood trail (they get weak and drag their feet in the leaves). I've been doing this for a long time, as did my Dad and his Dad and his Dad. And I learned to hunt not far from PawPaw, over in eastern Louisiana in the lowlands along the Mississippi River.

Page generated in 0.03536 seconds with 8 queries