View Single Post
Old September 6, 2009, 06:12 PM   #17
mnshortdraw

Contrary to popular belief, there are no "enzimes" in venison to make it more tender with aging. This ain't beef folks. There is, however, bacteria that will break down the meat. I prefer to have my venison with as little bacteria as possible. There have been numerous studies on this, do an on line search. Ask for info from the FDA, or a state inspector. Also, using liquid to soak or wash the meat is a big no-no as any kind of liquid spreads bacteria, urine, feces, stomach matter to all the meat instead of keeping it localized. There is no reason to rinse out the inside of the body cavity. None of the meat is inside the ribcage other than the tenderloins. Be more concerned about cooling it down as soon as possible. My venison is super tender, and mild flavored and many times it is vac sealed less than 2 hours from the field. I have done deer processing for 10 years, have butchered around 2500 deer, elk, and moose. None of my wild game hangs for more than 48 hours and it is skinned, quartered, and hung in a walk in cooler immediately. My equipment and workspace has been inspected, and I have done my research on proper meat handling. I have refused deer that have been hanging for weeks, or are improperly cared for in the field, to avoid contaminating my equipment and possibly my other customer's meat. This is my opinion based on lots of factual research, and real world experiance. Take it or leave it, and feel free to do it your own way. This is what I tell people who are new to hunting and processing.

Page generated in 0.03045 seconds with 8 queries