View Single Post
Old March 30, 2021, 11:55 AM   #6
HiBC

I got by for a long time (decades) using Weaver K-4's.
And,for my needs,They were rugged.reliable....Thy were in the same league with Levis 501 s,Red Wing boots,buck knives, a 30-06, etc. Life was good.

However...this was before I had discovered that ring alignment might be important.
Anyway, sometimes the pre hunt trip to the range for sight in might find me frustrated because the 40 rounds I loaded was not enough.

Turning the adjustment knobs was a wish,and about as predictable as using a hammer.

The groups were fine,but changes in point of impact were chased around the target.

Once sight in was achieved,the caps went on and stayed there for a year.

I confess,I never tried Lyman or Unertl. They made some nice glass. Redfield was the "step up" brand. Leupold was for "those in the know"

Longer haul,I discovered Leupold.

Then I made a lot of exploratory cheaper scope purchases. "Maybe this $250 scope will do"

Then I'd replace it with a Leupold later. I passed those take offs on to those who could use them. Several are still in service.

Its been more than 10 years since I bought a new scope. I've grown some as a shooter. Accurate,repeatable adjustments ,to me,are of greater value than a bigger magnum rifle.

I'm not a fan of huge magnification or the necessary large objectives. They do work,but for myself,a rifle is not an artillery piece. I want to be OK with carrying it farther than from the pickup to the firing line.

My most powerful scope is 14X with a 50mm obj. I lean toward 10X and 42 mm or less.

I'd consider a Vortex or SWFA 10x SS. I can dream of Nightforce.

The gist? As my shooter shop math skills have evolved,I suspect I can get more done with a pretty good rifle from Ruger or Savage (or Tikka or CZ or Howa,etc.More likely,something I build of old junk) and a precision scope.

I need an adequate .750 MOA rifle (or so) good ammo,a good trigger,with a stable,free floated stock.

If I can get that in a $600 rifle,fine.

I need excellent optics and reliable,true tracking adjustments that repeat.

I prefer a reticle that is useful.That gives me more tools. There are a lot of them.

Many of these scopes are well over $1000. I went shooting yesterday and tried a new Leupold MK 5 that works well with a very fancy Kestrel. Amazng!

Well over $2000.

I'll say this.For nearly all of my needs,a fixed 6x by 42 mm Leupold serves just fine.

But IMO,I can get more done with a decent $600 rifle and a $1500 scope than I can with a $1500 rifle and a $600 scope.

Unless I'm hunting elk. Then maybe a K4 Weaver on a 30-06 is as good as it was in the 1970's.

Last edited by HiBC; March 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.03352 seconds with 8 queries